Saturday, January 1, 2011

Arts & Crafts PTSD

I remember coloring as a kid. I also remember I wasn't very good at it. Coloring isn't my thing. I am a major perfectionist, who cannot stay in the lines. Bad combination.


My kids haven't spent much time coloring or drawing. Not sure if it's my own art phobia, or just the fact that they don't even color on the page that keeps us away from it. I even tried the bathtub markers with Merrick. He colored on the wall with those.

Recently, my aunt had an extra box of crayons, and asked if I wanted it. At first I thought of that red-scribbled wall back home (I still can't get it off...) and almost said no. But decided to give art another chance. I put both of them at the table with a sheet of paper (plain, no lines. Don't want to give them arts and crafts PTSD just yet).


They both did great. Neither one went for my favorite, the black crayon, but their weapons of choice were the sparkly gold and silver ones. (Which are now sporting bashed-in ends. Another thing that used to drive me crazy as a kid...odd shaped crayons. I told you...perfectionist.) So...maybe I'll just have to start looking the other way while they color.

Check out more shots at The Paper Mama
(The last shot is my pick for this week)

No comments: