Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid...

...Deep fry it. Growing up I hated Kool-Aid. No one ever told me you could fry it and put powdered sugar on it though. But at the State Fair, anything that's not tied down or talking can and will be fried and covered in powdered sugar. THAT I can handle. And at the State Fair last Saturday we had our first taste of fried Kool-Aid and fried Twinkie. We approve.


I don't remember ever going to the state fair as a kid. (I'm sure mom will call and yell at me that she DID take me to the fair I just forgot. Sorry mom.) But we decided to take the hooligans this past weekend. So glad we did. There were some moments of "what are we doing and what is wrong with these kids" but it was one of my favorite family days pretty much...ever.


We rode flying elephants and cars. (Well, one of us rode cars. One was too short but made sure to let us know she had the lungs to handle it.) We saw a lot of farm animals (and farm people...). We walked around and ate some good grease formerly-known-as-food. We ate ice cream and candy apples and will probably regret it later at the dentist.


We made lots of fun memories and left feeling exhausted, sore-footed and happy. Everyone slept late Sunday as a result, which made my hanging around taking pictures of the lights after dark seem like not such a bad idea. We laid around that following morning drinking coffee and working on BabyB3's nursery. I think I could stand a few more weekends like that. I could definitely stand another fried twinkie.


The the first shot is for Communal Global, second is for The Happiness Project
and last is for Simplicity.

22 comments:

Jess said...

Ah, yes... the "what are we doing and what is wrong with these kids" is a daily occurrence here.

Love that last shot. Just dreamy and whimsical, everything a fair should be!

Tara said...

Love these shots! I love the ticket picture with that big smile in the back!

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

You can deep fry Kool Aid??!! WHAAAT.

Lovely pictures as usual!

Alyssa S. said...

The night shot of the ferris wheel lights...just plain love it!

Ashley Sisk said...

How fun - I wanna go..and fried Kool Aid. Hmmm.

Christina Klas said...

Those shots are all so fun! I loved taking fair photos this year as well. :) Deep fried kool-aid? Not sure about that... But our fair has deep fried butter, so who am I to judge?

Moments and Impressions said...

I am trying to figure out deep fried Kool Aid... hmmm What wonderful photos... and that last one is perfect.

Unknown said...

Okay I still don't get what deep fried koolaid entails, lol. But I looove these photos! Especially the last one! Beautiful!

Tamar SB said...

Fried Kool-aid sounds better than fried butter! I have Alabama roots so I should want to eat this stuff, but I prefer non-fried food!! Such a fun time it sounds like!

Unknown said...

These photo are amazing.. I always have to have something that is deep fried at the fair. But I haven't had the Twinkies yet.. That last photo is perfect.. I love it!!

Susan Anderson said...

Fried Kool-Aid???

Can't even imagine!

Great shots, though.

=)

Unknown said...

How the heck do you even fry kool aid. You know I am going to have to google that : )

I LOVE the fair pictures. So fantastical.

Congratulations on the new baby. I don't think I knew. I am so happy for you.

Leovi said...

Nice pictures, fresh and charming.

Sarah said...

Great photos! I especially love the last one. So dreamy!

Unknown said...

We ask those same questions when we take our kids just about anywhere. :)

Great photos! Love the one of the tickets and the ferris wheel!

tiarastantrums said...

looks like so much fun -- fried kool aide? for real??

Anonymous said...

How fun. Love these shots. I love that last one.

Anonymous said...

Great out of focus shot in the last photo. Unusual -- and like the ticket photo too! :)

Puna said...

I saw your fried kool-aid photo on instagram and I'm not sure what that is. How do you eat it? How did they fry it? Anyway - the things I wonder about;) Beautiful pics...

Anonymous said...

I still dont get fried kool-aid but at least its yum! :)

Looks like fun you had great pictures .love the ticket shot

Margie S said...

Love the colors in your pics. Looks like a great time.

The Coach's Wife said...

...linking over from simplicity...

*love* the ticket and carnival-in-bokeh shots!!! how fun!