Thursday, March 3, 2016

Exercising and Rights, and eating Donuts

I always take my kids with me when I vote. As a homeschooler I kind of feel like it's a good opportunity to teach hands on civics, as well as show them an example of voting - even when it's terribly chaotic and inconvenient when you have to do it alone with 4 kids. You just do it because it's important, and because it matters. I want them to see their parents doing things that aren't necessarily easy, because they care about the world around them. (Hopefully they will forget the parts where I am pulling my hair out trying to keep them from knocking over voting booths.)


We all went yesterday to vote in the primary. (Me and the hooligans, that is. Billy went in the morning before work.) It was the typical sideshow. All the sweet little older ladies working at the polls always say the nicest things to me when I come in there dragging 4 little politically vocal ducklings behind me. It makes up for some of the shenanigans of their vocal politics. I can't really blame them though...Billy and I spend a lot of time yelling at the TV and our iPhones when it comes to the government. They get it honest.


Yesterday the main excitement, and the need for said donuts, came from a certain 4 year old who really dislikes Donald Trump. I can't say I blame him there, either. But I'm just not sure how I feel about him screaming about who he is voting for in the middle of his mommy voting. I did get a good laugh out of it later though, after I was in the safety of my van where he can spew his politics for all to hear without me getting any dirty looks. (In case you don't follow me on Facebook...Jericho enthusiastically yelled "Donald Trump stinks! Haaaaa!" at the polls yesterday. At least I can't fault him with caring what people think?)


I do love how passionate these little goofballs are, no matter what they are doing: voting, eating donuts, or playing on the playground to get out some of the energy from all those donuts they earned by voting. I hope and pray that I am raising them to care about the world around them, and to take responsibility. Not just for themselves, but for the people around them. I see glimpses of that when they take care of each other...but they always put me back in my place before I get too prideful by having a loud fight in the backyard for all the neighbors within a half mile to hear. ;)

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

lol, love it!! (and I think Donald Trump stinks, too!)