Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Visitors

As many of you probably know from various other social media accounts of mine, my grandma has been in a rehab facility nearby, working through a hip fracture. She is one tough cookie...and up to this point she has managed to continue to live by herself at 90 years old, even though she is completely blind. Can I be that awesome when I grow up? Seriously though, this lady is amazing, and I'm so thankful for the influence she has had on our family and so many other people her life has touched.

Growing up, we spent countless weeks at her house. Being spoiled and having the best of times with our cousins. So many of my growing up memories were of great times spent at her house, staying up too late watching 'I Love Lucy', eating junk food, fighting over who go to sleep curled up right next to her in the bed full of grandkids who probably didn't let her get much sleep, and of not wanting to go home. Gram's house was always one of our favorite places to be, and I'm so thankful to have those memories.


Now that I have kids of my own, I realize just how much Grandma did for us growing up. It's not easy to take on that big bunch of kids when you're no spring chicken yourself. And to do it so willingly for such long periods of time is amazing. She was, and is, a saint. Even now, she loves when I bring my 4 wild animals to see her. They are NOT quiet, at all, but she always says without hesitation how much she loves the noise and would prefer their shenanigans to peace and quiet. That's good news, since they seem to love visiting her as well.

I'm grateful for all the time we've been able to spend with her recently, since she's so nearby at the rehab facility. I know it's not fun for her...being there...but I'm loving the excuse to sit and chat with her, and have my kids be able to sit and talk with her/get to know her better as well. (Well, as much as my kids sit and talk, that is. Mostly they eat the candy stash she always seems to have, and do things like wave/blow kisses at her even though she can't see. She always thinks that's hilarious, FYI. Which is awesome.) I do hope for her sake she is able to go home soon, but I'm not going to complain about being able to spend so much time visiting our Gram.

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

best wishes for a speedy recovery!