Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Children of a Child of the 80's

When I was at my mom's recently I  noticed she had a DVD sitting on the counter: MacGyver Fan Favorites. As with many of you who may have grown up in that wonderful era known as the 80's, this show was the soundtrack to many of my nights. I vividly remember sitting in the living room with my dad and brother watching it religiously. The intro music seriously took be back to about age 5.


We asked mom if we could borrow it, thinking Billy and I would watch it. Little did we know that my older two hooligans would be the ones doing most of the watching. We put it in to watch it and they were hooked. They've asked to watch it repeatedly. I have the 5 episodes on the DVD totally memorized I think. I remember all of them from when I was little, but they are forever burned into my brain now.


They've even been observed acting out several of MacGyver's stunts, wearing masks to keep from inhaling "poison gas", and trying to unlock doors, and sneaking around the house complete with falls and rolls. MacGyver was a pretty cool guy, and while they may copy his stunts neither of them will be sporting his mullet anytime soon. No offense to MacGyver, because that mullet was pretty cool at one point. And I'm afraid I've noticed it coming back...but I'm just not ready for that.


I'm glad that they have enjoyed something from my childhood. I'm sure there will come a time when all of the stuff mom and dad like is for old people. I remember going through that with my parents. (You want me to listen to THAT?) I just hope its later rather than sooner. I'm not ready to have my music made fun of quite yet.


Check out more shots at Wild Wonderful Wednesday, and Wordless Wednesday.
The first shot is for Give Me Your Best Shot, This or ThatShow Off

9 comments:

Cropped Stories said...

That is too funny! God I feel old. You gotta love MacGyver though right? And who doesn't love the
80's.

Susan said...

How cute!! Loved this one♥

Summer said...

This is cracking me up! Love it.

Jaymi said...

as a child of the 80s, I LOVE MacGyver! So fun that the kids got into it!

Unknown said...

OH I love it! My hubby is such a MacGyver fan. And yes, the music too! Just don't show them the SNL skits... ;-P

Mary Gene Atwood said...

Oh how we used to say, "mcgyver it" Lovely memories. Thanks

genie said...

That last shot really put a grin on my face. All of your pictures are so cute. For grandmothers like me, it is wonderful reading the posts of all of you young mothers. They bring back the memories. genie

Unknown said...

That is SO cute! We loved that in my house too : ) I remember it was on Thursday nights. I love the soundtrack. And I really love that he could save the day every.single.time!

Unknown said...

I don't comment enough. But I always adore your photos. you inspire me each time.