Friday, April 3, 2015

"I Only Believe in Science"

*My fellow Nacho Libre fans will remember that quote. We sometimes have entire conversations in Nacho Libre.*

Last week we were gifted passes to the Science Museum. This was a hooligan first. I think every new experience with the 4 of them I go in to it wondering if I'm going to regret the decision to take them all out in public by myself. (Sometimes, I very much DO.) This was not one of those times. They had SO much fun. (And I'm realizing that ya know, it's ok if my kids act a little crazy in public and stress me out. They are kids...and that's what they do. I'll miss their misbehaving one day I'm sure.)

I have probably been to the Science Museum myself in the past, but don't remember going. So I was trying to be all "homeschool mom" discussing the different displays and relating them to things we are learning. Negative on that. As soon as I'd start talking I could tell the kids were all: "Don't make this about school mom. We got things to do." They did humor me a little...but for the most part I just let them learn by playing and waited for them to ask me questions as they had them.

They loved all the exhibits, but especially loved the bugs (of course!) and the snakes, and the section where you learn all about the human body. I mean, what kid doesn't want to learn about the digestive system? Poop is Jericho's favorite word. They were a little weirded out by the skeleton, until I informed them it wasn't real. Then they spent 5 minutes trying to stick their fingers into the space in the glass case so they could touch the "bones". Maybe I should have told them it was real?

Amaryllis was a saint, as usual. She sat in the stroller and didn't make a peep, and then fell asleep. She's so awesome about sleeping wherever/whenever that someone ought to put her in a museum. The Fancy Pants exhibit. I'm continuing to lug that infant carrier around simply because she is so good about taking naps in it. She napped right through the visit to the Boost section of the museum (a hands on area where you learn about health/fitness/nutrition) where the hooligans were playing drums (extremely loudly and off beat) and using exercise bikes while yelling about who was going to beat who. There was also a tight rope involved...but there was more pushing each other off the rope than actual walking on it.

I had to practically drag them out of the museum because it was closing. (Thankfully I could use that as an excuse for us leaving, and I didn't have to be the bad mommy.) But promised them we would be back. They have their eye on going to one of the IMAX movies they do at the museum next time. I wonder if Fancy Pants would sleep through one of those? Guess there's only one way to find out.

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

My kids love love love hands on science museums. We are so lucky to have the opportunity to visit the ones in Atlanta, Charlotte, Greenville, and Rutherfordton, NC.