Typically on Thanksgivings in the past Billy and I have gone on long runs together. (Usually half marathon distance, sometimes 10K.) This past year, though, was a little different. I wasnt actually planning on running at all this year just because of how our day worked out, but ended up at the gym instead. (Yes, on Thanksgiving. And yes, it was crowded.) When I got home on a whim I mentioned taking the kids on a short run. They were SO excited, since they are always asking me if they can run with me.
I have run with them in the past, and it's always been kind of a nightmare. But it was always longer, more official, races that were a 5K distance that we ended up mostly walking. This time we just decided to run the route that we typically walk around the neighborhood since I knew at least, should they all decide to revolt, we could walk that far.
They ended up running the whole route...which is about a mile. I was really proud of them! Usually on walks Tirzah complains she has a cramp, or wants to get into the stroller, etc. She did so great, and didn't even ask to stop and walk the whole time. Jericho and Amaryllis were obviously in the stroller...but we did let Jericho out to run the second time we went a few days later. He did great about half the way, then fell into the ditch and scraped his knee and that was the end of that. ;) He howled the whole rest of the way home until we could get him cleaned up. And then he howled some more.
As you can see...they have a flair for the dramatic, and needed to take a nap on the sidewalk after we got back home. Jokes on the boys, though, since their sister looks fresh and ready to run some more. I really had a great time running with them. (I know people think that's crazy. It probably is.) I'm thinking there will be a lot more family "runs" in our future as opposed to just walks. Gotta pass on the crazy genes, right?





1 comment:
I think it is awesome that you are instilling a love for running in them at an early age!
Post a Comment