Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hi, my name is Merrick...

...and I'm addicted to chapstick.

Merrick has been addicted, severely so, to chapstick for months now. He can't get enough. *And yes, he has ingested plenty of it in the process of smearing it all over his entire face* He's like an addict...he sneaks it off my desk, he steals it out of my mom's purse, he begs, he pleads...he has no shame. But I'm glad it's only chapstick...I'm sure there are mothers out there who would love for their child to be addicted to chapstick as opposed to other things. So I really con't complain. But it's messy, and ends up all over his whole head...literally. I find myself asking him, why is there chapstick in your ear??? Were your eardrums chapped??? My mother gave our resident chapstick fiend three of his very own chapsticks for Christmas. I will never understand why she did this, at least until I'm a grandmother with grandkids to spoil myself, and then I'm sure it will make perfect sense to me. He has been limited in his chapstick usage up to this point. I keep it up on the desk where he doesn't really see it, and therefore doesn't really seem to realize he desperately needs his chapstick fix to be filled.

While I was getting ready this morning, though, he must have spotted the chapsticks. Billy called me into the bedroom to show me what had become of Merrick's last 2 "chaps" as he calls them. He had twisted them until they'd just fallen out of the tubes. He kept asking me "mommy, chap up down." Which means I'm supposed to fix them. I did, but not without getting it all over me and the desk. But, all is right with the world again, because his chapsticks are back together again and waiting for him. Ya know, for the next time he decided his big toe is chapped or one of his stuffed animals could use a little touch up.

No comments: