Monday, May 9, 2011

It's a bird...

...it's a plane. It's SuperMom? I think super is in the eye of the beholder, and when Merrick tells me "Mom, you're cute!", or Tirzah says "yuv yoooo mommy", I think that's about as super as it gets. I may leave piles of unwashed dishes sitting for too long, and occasionally refuse to fix dinner, and have a mood swing or two...hundred, but they love me.


And good grief, I love them. I know that sometimes people view motherhood as what you do when you're done doing what you've always wanted to do. After you've had your job, made money, traveled all around, lived it up, etc. (And sure, being a mom isn't for everybody, and may not be possible for everybody. I am not saying it is by any means.) But for me, being a mom is that "what I want to do". It's the sweet spot. The photographer gig is nice, but it doesn't hug me with dirty sticky little fingers at the end of a long day. It doesn't look in my eyes and say "mom, i wuv you". It wasn't the face I prayed over, and anticipated seeing for 37 and 40 weeks. When they were just little pink lines on a pregnancy test, they were already so embedded in my heart that it was impossible to imagine life before them.


I'm blessed to be doing what I love. Motherhood isn't for the faint of heart. Anyone who is a mom, or even wants to be a mom, knows that. You spend your day (or dream of spending it) wiping boogers and butts, bent over picking up toys, fixing countless cups of juice and singing ridiculous songs about trains and backpacks. Getting no sleep and often going broke for the sake of diapers and baby food. But it teaches you that there are people more important in the world than yourself. And one of my favorite things about being a mom, is that it's taught me that if I love these little people so much with my imperfect heart...imagine how much better my Father loves them, and me?

Thanks to all the girls out there who give so much because they love so much. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: