Started a little unofficial preschool with my Wild this week. So far he's loving it. We actually didn't get to do any "school" today, and he was a little annoyed about it. (I'm sure the fun will wear off eventually, but so far he's really enjoyed it.) We are planning to try to homeschool, and he's a little young for Kindergarten this year...so I decided to ease him (well, ok...ME) into it. It's a big job and I'm kind of terrified I'll raise illiterate people who can't name their presidents or states.
I'm not doing any official curriculum at this point. Kind of just doing a letter a week-ish, and adding in a number/color to go with it. He already knows his letters/numbers/colors pretty well, but we need to work on sounds and all that stuff. Obviously we need to work on this, since he argued with me that "monkey" begins with "A" when I was naming things that start with "A". He is a persistent type of individual, so it took some convincing before he would believe me. I can see blood pressure meds in my homeschooling future.
I think Merrick is also ADHD, even though he hasn't been officially diagnosed. So we will have that to factor in as well. I think in that sense homeschooling will be great for him. He can run around the yard while I read to him, jump off random objects while we do spelling words, take tests dressed as Spiderman...ya know. Nothing too crazy. I decided in thinking about this that "Homeschooligan" was a good title for what is going on over here. Here goes nothing!





4 comments:
I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in homeschooligan! My husband would like me to homeschool our children (currently, I am still cooking my first child, so we got a while!)
very cool:) And careful about easing them in... I tried to do that and put mine ahead of their peers, totally by accident... LOL!! Very normal though when they like learning and are ready to move on to the next thing:)
I highly recommend The Letter Factory by LeapFrog:) It's a kid DVD but it's does the letters and sounds. And you could even "pause" it on the letter you are working on that week and see if he can find the things that start with that letter.
Can't wait until my 2 yr old is ready... not quite yet:)
That so cool. I have to cheer on all you moms that home school.
Hugs~
Oh! I think you can do it...you won't have an illiterate child...and frankly, WHO CARES about naming presidents and states. LOL! OK, so knowing some geography is probably a great idea. ;) Welcome to homeschooling. You'll be fine. I promise.
Post a Comment