When it comes to things around the house, I'm pretty picky. I like all things to be in their "homes" and put away neatly. I start to get a little twitchy when all of the kids toys are out at one time...which happens a lot. They like all their toys where they can see them: all over the living room.
When it came time to decorate the tree Saturday night, I thought it would be fun for the kids to help. Well, some of them. Some of them just spent a solid hour staring into the light.
Merrick did a pretty good job of putting the decorations evenly around the tree. Tirzah hung them all in one spot, and all from the wire of the Christmas lights instead of on the actual tree. I tried to keep my twitching to a minimum...because I'm so picky about the tree decorations being even. (I know I know, get over it lady. You have three kids.)
I did move them when she wasn't looking, but since she didn't even notice I figure I didn't do any psychological damage in the process. The only damage that's been done so far is the multiple times they've managed to trip and fall into the Christmas tree since we put it up. So far they haven't knocked it over, but I'm not placing any bets on that being true for the rest of the season.
And what's Christmas without the obligatory cliche ornament-reflection shot? (Ours are plastic...so the reflection isn't so great, but you can see everyone at least!) This year I decided to go all out and try to get all five of us in it. I will not disclose how many shots it took to make it happen, but it happened. That's what counts. I have photographic proof.
That last shot cracks me up, and proves that fun can happen even when your decorations are crooked and your eye is twitching. The Christmas spirit is a powerful thing...makes OCD mommies chill out, makes daddies get on ladders to put up lights, is responsible for gum stuck in the Christmas tree (Merrick), and nearly ingested Christmas decor (Jericho).
I'm looking forward to enjoying this Christmas season with the hooligans. The older two are getting to an age where they are much more fun. More greedy, but fun. (We will work on the greedy, and totally take advantage of the fun.) This will be Jericho's first Christmas, since he barely missed it last year. I know he won't remember it, but we will definitely remember how many Christmas lights he tried to ingest. ;)






6 comments:
These photos totally tell the story of decorating with little ones! You are brave. I currently have a bare tree standing in my living room because I'm too scared to let the kids help and they're always around. Ha! Maybe I need to work on those OCD tendencies.... :) You did a great job with the ornament photo!
Awesome shots! And now I really want to put up a tree, like immediately. We've always gotten real ones in the past, but I'm thinking that's a bad idea with two boys, one of which will probably start crawling any day now. I don't even know where to start for a fake one. Oh well, decisions, decisions!
Oh my gosh! your photos are precious and your story is too - love it all!
Cute shots, Jericho reminds me so much of my little man, I think it's the hair, they have the same hair. Like the new header.
Those are such cute photos. I just love that last one. My daughter and SIL are coming for Christmas and bringing my grandson. I can't wait.
Hopefully I can get some awesome photos like you got here.
HAHAHA....I always 'direct' where the ornaments should go. My kids are so used it that they don't even blink an eye about it. LOL. When they were little, I'd move them around after they went to bed. LOL
I have our tree up and garland on it. We haven't had time to decorate it yet. I put up the garland and bough on the outside of our porch. Hung the stockings. Trying to figure out where to put my Christmas village (I hate this house at this time of year). Etc...etc...I want it done before dh comes home for Christmas.
LOOOOVE the photos of the kids in the ornaments. I must TRY this!
Post a Comment