Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wasn't Expecting That

The other day I had blogged and said how we were going to have a milestone week (hopefully) because Jericho was potty training beginning first thing Monday morning. I didn't realize when I said milestone that Merrick would take me literally and lose his first tooth the next morning. We had been to the dentist the week before, and the dentist had mentioned one of his top teeth was a little bit wiggly, and that it was not going to be long. (She also mentioned it was a little different for it to be a top tooth, since it's typically a bottom tooth. But far be it for one of my kids to do something the normal way, right?)
I had kinda warned my worrisome, inquisitive eldest child to be aware that his tooth might be getting more and more loose, and it would eventually come out so it could make room for a new, bigger tooth. But I don't think either one of us expected it so soon, or to happen with a little help. (He apparently hit himself in the mouth with a curtain rod -that he wasn't supposed to be playing with- and knocked it the rest of the way out.) I heard him howling upstairs and asked what was wrong. He howled through his crocodile tears, "MY TOOTH FELL OUT!"

He was seriously distraught. And teeth give me the willies, so I was kinda scared to even look. As with most things, though, being a mom forces you to suck it up, so I put on my "I'm not grossed out by this at all" face and remained calm. I told him how exciting it was and that he would get a fun surprise now, and eventually a new tooth, out of the deal. Surprises heal lots of wounds, so once he realized losing a tooth is a good thing, and that he didn't have to get a fake tooth (as he was apparently concerned about) all was well.
Well, except for my heart. I mean, I can't really call him a baby anymore when he's losing teeth. I told him that, and in typical Merrick fashion he was concerned and didn't want me to be sad. (He's such a sweetheart.) He reminded me, through that goofy little hole in his smile, that even if he's not a baby he will always give me kisses. I'm gonna hold him to that. It's been put in writing and published on the internet...there's no getting out of it, kiddo.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I am so with you on the teeth thing!! My cousin (she is 6) lost her tooth and was so proud and kept showing me, and it made me nauseous!! Thank goodness we mom's get that braveness! :)


He is so adorable!

*Jess* said...

it helped jayce to have an older sister with lost teeth to go before him, but he still had a hard time dealing with it when it was his turn!

Unknown said...

Awww.. What a cutie he is with that smile.

Hugs~