Saturday, September 15, 2012

Learning is...Yum.

I've been gearing up to start a little bit of unofficial preschool with Merrick this fall. He isn't quite old enough to start Kindergarten this year, and I'm not quite sure he would be ready even if he was old enough. We want to homeschool (as long as Merrick and I don't drive each other completely mad) so I think easing our way into it is a good way to start. He has mentioned friends who are in school and seemed a little interested in "school" (even though I don't think he has any idea what that really is) so here goes nothing.


My sister's mother-in-law is a teacher, and has often graciously given us supplies, games, and toys that she isn't using anymore. It is always much appreciated, and ends up being the kiddos favorite stuff. She recently gave us an alphabake set, and so we put it to use making some letter-shaped cookies. They had to spell out their names (well, Merrick did...Tizzy kind of just picked up letters, although she did pick out a "T" when I asked her what her name started with) and then we made cookies that were in the shape of the first letters of their name.


I think my main goal as a "homeschool mom" (although I shiver a bit at that term. Homeschooling is fantastic, but let's face it...homeschoolers are, ya know, kinda weird. Hey...I was one. I can totally say that) will be to make sure that learning is never "a chore" and that we do the best we can to keep the wonder of learning a part of the program. I know I say that now, and I know there will be days I don't want to go to school anymore than they do, but I think if cookie dough keeps being involved it's a goal we can handle.

3 comments:

*Jess* said...

I think you will do a wonderful job homeschooling :) After all, you teach your kids on a daily basis, even the non-academic stuff. Homeschooling is just an extension of mothering.

With that said, I'd kill my son if he was home with me all day. Just sayin'. I'm all about the public school in this house. They like the structure and the friends and I like the PEACE!!!!

In Everything said...

Yeah for a fun start!!!

And wish everyday at my house was fun and lots of hands-on stuff. Praying for creativity and wisdom in making 4th grade more fun:)

I think you have a great start to homeschooling being a home- schooled kid;)

Heather said...

Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com