Merrick notices everything. He has recently become aware of the fact that Billy always leaves for work in a shirt and tie, with his shirt neatly tucked into his pants, wearing a belt. Merrick has also become convinced that this is what men do. Real men wear belts and ties and tuck in their shirts. So, we now go nowhere, and do nothing, without these accessories. He also likes to hang them in odd places around his room, as you can see.
It's driving me a little bit insane. When Merrick decides to do something, he goes all out and digs in with some fierce tenacity. (Both me and Billy are like this, so he's like a double shot of determination sometimes. It can be exhausting if he's not using his powers "for good" if you know what I mean.) At first I was trying to discourage the belt and tie wearing, but then one morning while he was brushing his teeth, he looks at himself in the mirror and says proudly to me: "Mom, I look JUST like dad."
I decided then and there to get over myself yet again and let the kid wear his tie. I am thrilled that he loves his daddy, and wants to be like him. I see so many older kids who loathe their parents, and would rather be like anyone else. I hope that this is never a reality around here, although I know we will have some rough patches. So if that means we wear a tie to the playground, then so be it. ;)


2 comments:
that is so incredibly sweet ;)
Ahhhh... What a sweet post. My daughter right now can't get my grandson out of his rain boots. He even wears them to bed. She says its just not worth the fight.
Hugs~
Post a Comment