Saturday, September 14, 2013

Homeschooligan History

This past week we decided to take our first official "field trip", since starting school the other week. I think the kids don't get the concept of a field trip at this point, it was fun for me to get out of the house though. (School really doesn't take us that long, but still you feel kind of cooped up after awhile.)


My parents manage a local airport, and had let me know that there was a B-17 parking at the airport for this week. I knew that Merrick especially would love to see it, and would spend the rest of the week quizzing me about airplanes. He did.

It was fun for them to see this HUGE plane. They weren't even as tall as it's tires. We spend some time running around it, chasing Jericho who was determined to run away down the nearest runway. Merrick wanted to hear all about the guns on the plane. He also wanted lots of reassurance that it wasn't going to start up and run over us, or shoot us. He really wanted to be sure it wasn't going to shoot us.

We got back home and watched some YouTube videos on B-17's, (I've realized YouTube is an awesome resource for homeschooling. Merrick -the visual learner- loves seeing the things he's learning about.) answered another 100,000 questions, etc. I think, for our first field trip, it was a success. Not sure I'm ready to conquer a zoo alone with 3 kids or anything, unless I'm just dropping them off to hang out with their fellow wild animals and coming back later. ;)

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

I'm with Merrick on that one.

Unknown said...

Looks like a blast..