I know that you've also heard of people being in "seasons" of their lives, too. I don't know exactly which season I might be in, but I know it's a season where I'm learning a-stinking-lot about myself and who I am, and who I can be with God's help. And also the role I play in helping the people around me.
To put those two things together, (elephants and seasons) during this season I'm learning to stand up for myself, in a good way. I'm learning to say no. I'm learning that while it's my job as a Christ Follower to love and be kind, it's not necessarily my job to like and be silent. God has given me a personality and emotions, and He's not asking that I pretend to be someone I'm not. I have the freedom to be honest.
Recently I'm learning that if I feel something is wrong I need to vocalize it, and don't need to be held hostage by people's expectations. I don't have to be sat on by the elephant in the room. Everyone has an opinion of what you should do, and I can easily find someone to tell me I'm doing it wrong. Sometimes close enough to home that it hurts and you just feel that, "really? did they just...?" moment deep down in your soul.
Life is hard, but it's good. Some things are worth sticking up for, and some things you just have to let go. Some people you just need to let go. Sounds odd, maybe, but I think I have to learn to put the brakes on toxic relationships, the ones that create a lot of these elephants, all the while loving them the best I can. By that I mean it's ok to not enable people to be ridiculous, for lack of a better word. In the long run, that's just breeding more elephants and not helping anyone. I'm over elephants, and ready for a new season.
Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.
:: 2 Timothy 4:2 ::




No comments:
Post a Comment