Monday, December 9, 2013

Wintery Weekend

There was a lot of winter-themed shenanigans going on this past weekend. Our city had it's Grand Illumination and the Christmas parade. I took the hooligans to both completely alone last year, so I was pretty excited when that Billy's new job (while he is gone from 7am-7pm most days) allows him to be off on the weekends and he could assist me in the hooligan herding at Christmas festivities.



The Grand Illumination was a lot of fun...we looked at the lights, ate a funnel cake, chased Jericho through the city, comforted Jericho when he couldn't handle the sight of Santa and carried him for half the evening. I think he was afraid Santa was waiting to make a sneak attack and he obviously doesn't trust the man, so he wouldn't let me put him down. This is cute when you don't weight 35 pounds.


The next morning we went to the Christmas parade. It was a bit on the chilly side. I'm raising winter wimps, just like myself, I'm afraid. We got there, found a good spot, and Merrick and Tirzah said, "We're cold...can we go to lunch now?" The parade hadn't even started yet. We toughed it out...me ending up sitting on the frozen sidewalk holding two hooligans (Jericho either doesn't know how to express that he's cold, or all that padding kept him nice and warm) who were ONLY warm in that position. The things you do for your offspring.


We did end up making an exit from the parade before it was over. We had parked in a spot close enough that we could kinda see from the van...so we finished the last 30 minutes warm and cozy. Merrick later told me, "Winter is the worst thing. EVER", so I think, like his mother, he just doesn't have quite the constitution to survive winter weather. (And yes, I KNOW 40 degrees isn't "winter weather" to some of you people...but to that I say brrr.)


Sunday ended up being a day where we pretty much sat in the house and did nothing. It was magical. It was sleeting and raining (lovely combo) so we just stayed home and enjoyed each other's company. And by "enjoyed each other's company" I mean we kept ripping Merrick and Tirzah apart and had to scrub the wall because Jericho colored on it. Oh, and we did watch some football and eat ice cream. So I guess it all evened out.

3 comments:

Anne U @ hot coffee mama said...

So cute! I live in Wisconsin and I say anything colder that 60 degrees is just too cold. Sometimes I wonder why I live here :)

*Jess* said...

I'm cold just reading this post!

Unknown said...

Burrrr.. Such great photos.

Hugs~