It's no secret that Billy and I both love a good tattoo. We both have several, some big some small, and several we are dreaming about/planning, etc. I have always wanted to get a tattoo to represent my kiddos. They are *5* of the most important people in my life...so it's always something I've thought about.
I had thought about various ideas and ways to symbolize them over the years...but nothing really stuck with me or seemed like something I wanted permanently on my body. One day I had been scrolling through instagram and a particular runner I follow was showing off his new tattoo. It was a bunch of arrows that represented his kids, drawing from verses 3-4 in Psalm 127: "Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth." I loved that idea and way of symbolizing my kids, and it was finally an idea that seemed right when I thought of them.
I am not the least bit artistic, so I knew I was going to have to rely on someone else to draw it for me obviously. I really admire the artwork that is done by the same artist who designed Billy's half-sleeve, so when I was finally ready to go for it I scheduled the appointment with him and gave him my idea which I trusted him to visualize/draw his own way. I didn't want it to look like a tattoo I'd already seen, but something unique.
The only guidelines I gave him was that I wanted five arrows to represent each of our babies (whether here with us or in Heaven)...and I wanted it to be as colorful as possible. He didn't disappoint. It isn't anything like the tattoo that I originally saw on instagram, but the idea behind it is the same...which I love. I love wearing this visible representation of what my kids mean to me on my arm. They are truly a reward and my heritage, and one of the greatest blessings I will ever receive. It's also a plus that they love when mommy gets a new tattoo...so they love that this one is all about them. ;)





2 comments:
What a beautiful, meaningful tattoo!
serves me right for trying to comment on my phone! I absolutely love your tattoo, the design, the colors, and especially the meaning behind it!
I have two, both from 18 years ago. They are faded and outdated and I'd love to have them re-worked into something beautiful. But blood thinners and tattoos don't mix so I'll have to wait.
Post a Comment