Friday, August 7, 2009

Before They Were Stars

This old house doesn't seem like much from this picture, but as some may remember it's the house from the movie "Nights in Rodanthe":

My family is down in the OBX for the week, like we do every summer. There have been many summers before this one, where we have stayed right next to this cottage...before it was famous. *Is that kind of like saying you went to high school with someone who is now a celebrity? Haha* The first beach vacation Billy and I came on as a married couple, we took a walk down to the beach one evening and sat in the sand right next to it. At the time there were people renting it...sad that now its abandoned. Its so close to the water that the sand is being washed out from under it now, and the next big hurricane might just finish it off.

When I got the big idea to go and take pictures of it...for some reason it didn't cross my mind that I wouldn't be the only person wanting to photograph the now-famous old house. I definitely wasn't alone. *the above picture was taken with my cell phone; I'll put up the real pictures once we get home* There were lots of "tourists" wandering around photographing, and lots more people stopped by the side of the road just to take a look. It was interesting to see it again after seeing it in the movie, and as it really is, *kind of banged up from recent storms, and not livable or being rented anymore* as opposed to all fixed up in the movie. This article also has some interesting info about the filming/history of the house if you're interested. :)

2 comments:

Susan Kimmel said...

Thats really fun! I read that article and to rent it for a week is like 1700!! :)

Erin Lenore said...

That is awesome! I love that movie!