Thursday, November 5, 2009

Baking A.D.D.

I love trying new things. New foods, new hobbies, etc. I saw this crazy cake on a blog I read sometimes, and was suddenly inspired to work on my *ahem* baking skills. Ok, so I can bake, sort of. If it comes packaged in a box and only required me to crack a few eggs and spray some Pam. I like a good challenge, so I thought no 6-layer-multi-colored-sugar-high of a cake is gonna beat me.

It started off well. I had all my ingredients, my food coloring, the kids were napping...I got this. So I baked the first 3 layers. *There were supposed to be 6...a purple one, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red, with icing in between each one.*

All in all so far that took me about an hour...I'm kinda new to this baking thing, and tend to be easily distracted by the many other things to do around here. I started trying to assemble my first 1/2 of a cake...and it was a bit more complicated than I had expected. There were purple, blue, and green tinted cake crumbs all over me and the kitchen. Thank goodness Merrick was still sleeping, or it could have gotten really ugly. ;)

I think I could have finished the project, but I got so tired of messing with the cake that I just decided there was nothing in the world wrong with a 3 layer cake. I can sit and play with photoshop or my camera for hours, but for some reason just couldn't find it in me to stand in the kitchen any longer to finish the multi-colored monstrosity on my counter. So...for now I think it's safe to say I'm not going to take up baking as a hobby. ;)

1 comment:

In Everything said...

I like the 3 layered one, too!! That looks like it would be a super fun birthday cake:)

How many boxes of cake mix do you need for all 6 layers???