Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Rabbit Trail Schooling

For the most part, we have finished up the official curriculum for this year. (Not sure how we ended up so far ahead...but Merrick is finished with his kindergarten work, and is moving on to some 1st grade material as well as working on some things that have given his some trouble over the year. Tirzah is just in preschool, but has worked her way through the whole alphabet, learning their sounds and writing them.) All this to say, it's been nice to have a little more freedom to work on fun stuff, and just let their questioning little brains lead us in different directions.
The other day, we did some "serious" work, and then a question came up about veins. (Random, I know.) So we followed that rabbit trail for a little bit. Then someone texted me and let us know about an eagle family you can watch online, waiting for their babies to hatch. So that led to about an hour of just answering questions about eagles, watching them in the nest, and googling for more information. The hooligans don't pay attention to anything for long, and I try not to force it. I want school to be fun for them, while also helping them learn that they need to work hard and use their heads. So when they have questions like they did today, or something off subject comes up, I try to go with it. I figure if they are getting some "undercover" learning in there and enjoying it, it's a win win.
We are still waiting on eagle baby number two to hatch. I joked earlier that if I can deliver a 9 pounder in an hour, Mrs. Eagle needs to get busy. But I guess I'll give her a break, since she's gonna have two on her hands. I also told the kiddos that maybe I should try sitting on them like the eagle does with her babies to keep them safe and warm. Tirzah's response was: "Uhhh...no. I think you would probably squish us. And I would scream." So that's out. I'll have to find another way to keep them out of trouble.

No comments: