I've been trying to be more brave recently about going out with the 3 hooligans alone. We've done all kinds of fun stuff. Parades, doctors appointments, grand illuminations, etc. (Not that doctors are fun, but you get the point. I'm trying to actually get out of the house occasionally without Billy having to be here.)
All this Christmas fun, though, has led to "the greedy's" around here. The kids can't stop asking for stuff, or asking to buy stuff, or feeling like they have to have this thing or they will surely die. So when I heard about a Bethlehem Walk (a walk-thru set up to be like the story of Jesus' life in Bethlehem) I was thinking this was a great activity that did not involve materialistic gifts, but focused on the real gift of this season.
Thankfully, this I did not have to do alone. Billy was off work, and my mom and sister went with us as well. It was a really long wait, but for some reason (a miracle of God, I'm sure) the kiddos didn't complain at all. Even when we missed dinner by like 3 hours. That in itself was an awesome Christmas present to Mama. ;)
Even though a lot of it went over their heads, I'm hoping the foundation is being set at this young age for focusing on what's important. Not just during Christmas, but life in general. Nice things are, well, nice, but they don't last. You can't take them with you, and they can't take the place of what matters. So as I blaze new trails venturing far and wide with the hooligans, I hope we all learn our lesson. Whether that be you didn't need to impress that person at the parade with your well-behaved children anyway, or the reason for the season.
2 comments:
Wow, what an awesome idea, that is really neat.
Post a Comment