Monday, February 24, 2014

Love Rox

Sunday Billy and I were able to do the Love Rox Half Marathon here in RVA. It was kind of up in the air whether or not I would be able to do this race, which was a bummer because I had so looked forward to it. I ended up deathly ill (ok, maybe not that bad...but I was miserable) Thursday night, and Friday. I had a fever and major congestion and stuffy nose, etc. (The kids finally managed to give me their germs. Sweeties.) Thankfully, while I know colds tend to linger, the worst was over by Saturday and I was feeling well enough to attempt it, much to my mother's dismay. ;)
I am not one who likes attention, but it makes me laugh the looks a person gets while wearing a baby bump and a half marathon bib. I don't mind it too much, but occasionally I do consider running only laps around my yard until the baby is born. Ok, that would be awful. Just kidding.
This was one of my favorite views from the race. I ran this bridge several times during marathon training in 2012, and its always a breathtaking view of the city. Like I said, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to run the race at all, so I had promised myself (and my mom and husband and various Facebook friends) that I would definitely take it easy and walk if necessary. So I took the chance to pause for taking a lot of pictures of the city. (At one point I was even chatting on Facebook. Haha. I know I know, I'm probably an embarrassment to all people who have ever "raced" before.) I had 3.5 hours to finish, so it was definitely walk-able if need be.
Since I had decided to just let go of any goal but finishing before they remove me from the course I took plenty of time to stop, talk to random strangers (totally not like myself...I'm blaming the gorgeous weather), take pictures, eat and drink stuff at all the water stations, and did I mention take a ridiculous amount of pictures? I had a serious blast running this race. I told Billy I think it was the most fun I've ever had during a race. It's amazing what removing my self-imposed pressure to kick-my-own-butt does for my mood. (Who knew?) I know, Billy, shut up. ;)
I started out planning to run the first 6.5 mile loop slowly, and walk/run the second loop or whatever I ended up feeling well enough to do. I ended up walking through all the water stops and walking about a half mile from mile 10.5-11. I felt surprisingly great, and kept my pace slow and easy, and just took time to enjoy myself. I ended the race really feeling great, but that might have been that they were handing out Oreos and chocolate chip cookies at the finish line. My time was 2:23:04, which I was really happy with considering I had decided not to care about my time. Billy finished in 1:55:30...which was awesome! He did really well pacing himself, which always gave him a little grief in previous races.



This picture below was us laughing about how ironic it was that I'm wearing a 'Love Rox' bib and medal over a baby bump. ;)


Thanks to Billy for taking the finish line pics!
I'm really grateful that this pregnancy is treating me well, and I know I'm only about half way in, but I'm glad to be feeling as well as I am. No major aches and pains yet, but I know I still have plenty of time for that. ;) So I'm just taking it one day at a time, and enjoying each and every run I'm blessed with. All my babies have done lots of miles (except for Tirzah...she kinda got away with a little laziness) and I'm hoping this kiddo will do the same. I know running through my pregnancies has kept me (and my husband) sane, and helped me keep my energy up and stay less achy and bounce back faster afterwards. This was my first pregnant half marathon, and I have to say I loved this distance. I can't wait to run more half marathons after delivery...I think it may be my favorite race distance so far. Not too far, not too short...just about right. (Although I do love a good marathon, ya know.)
I may be doing a bit of waddling tomorrow due to soreness, but I'm pregnant. So I can totally blame that on the baby I think and no one will even know the difference. These baby bumps really do come in handy sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing.

*Jess* said...

ditto to what Becky said :)