Monday, December 14, 2009

Fido the Blanket

I've always been a cat person. Growing up we had one dog...and since he died of old age we haven't had the heart to replace him. He was the kind of dog who was all bark and no bite...the worst treatment you'd get from him was being licked to death. His name was Bear, but I think *Teddy Bear* was more appropriate. :)

Everyone keeps saying we should get Merrick a dog, since he loves them. But I always use the excuse that our rental house doesn't allow pets, so its not MY fault we can't get him a dog. ;) The real truth is I'm not sure I can handle one more wild animal in my house. There are already several, who barely pretend to be human. ;) The growling and climbing and destroying of my furniture convinces me that my children really may be part wild animal.

Maybe one day, when Merrick and Tirzah are old enough to get the "as long as you feed it and take care of it speech" we'll get a dog, or another cat. But for now, Merrick seems content with his own pet "Bear".

This being a blankie with a stuffed bear head attached. He and Bear make quite a team...he burps Bear when I burp Tirzah, puts bear down for a nap, and even is kind enough to put Bear on Tirzah's head when she's upset. I guess he's thinking Bear comforts him, surely sister will benefit from Bears company when she's crying. :) Maybe one day we'll have a real pet in the house, but for now I think my wild hooligans are enough wildlife for one house. :)


This week at I Heart Faces the theme was "Pets"...check out their site for more photos!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very sweet story! I hope they can get a puppy one day! They add so much love to a house I think : ) This coming from someone who has not bit the bullet yet either... : )

Britt said...

Aww that's a sweet story and a cozy looking bear. :)

Rob said...

If you need some people to tell you not to get a pet just come visit us.
This was a very sweet post though. Monica and I need to get to Farmville so we can see you guys and your kids in action.

Susan Kimmel said...

I am with ya on loosing an animal is hard...especially when they are sweet, and you will get stuck falling in love all over again cause you will be taking care of them not the kids :) I am a cat person too... very sweet about merrick comforting tirzah...sweet boy! :)

Alana Jo said...

So sweet!

Thanks for taking time to stop by my blog and comment.

Alana @ www.justniftythrifty.com

Julie Rivera said...

Love the story with your picture! I agree about the addition of pets...we have a cat that will NOT be replaced when he passes from this earth.

annies home said...

what a cute story my daughter and her hubby feel the same way about getting a pet when princess gets bigger

Leslie Anne said...

Sweet Story. Good luck this week!

Kathleen said...

What a sweet shot!

I think you're wise on waiting with the dog. I don't know if your other dog was before kids, but at the very least it sounds like he was grown by the time kids entered your world. We got a puppy last year, and he added a whole new level of chaos to our household that it just got to be too much. We gave him away, which caused heartbreak in our house, but it sure helped with the sanity level around here! :-)

Crystal said...

Cute photo :) We got a dog last year after a summer of going back and forth on the idea. I wanted a puppy at first but then thought would I really want to deal with a puppy with a 2 year old and a 6 year old. The answer was no so we decided on getting a older dog. We got our Lady girl from a shelther she is a dachshund and was 1 year old when we got her. She was already house trained and crate trained. She has been such a blessing and is such a sweetheart. Now I don't think I would ever get a puppy. I really love puppies but it has been alot easier with a dog that I didn't have to train :)

Tezzie said...

Great shot! (good pet substitute...cheaper, less smelly, and way less work ;D)

Puna said...

awww...it's such a happy place over here.

Hanging Off The Wire said...

A beloved teddy bear is a pet in our home as well! :)