I don't know if it's the warm comfy clothes, or Thanksgiving, or the crisp blue sky and smell of the falling leaves that seems to put everyone in a good mood. Thanksgiving seems to be in a great spot...right in the middle of one of the coziest seasons. It seems easy to be thankful around this time of year. We're often surrounded by friends and family, and people we don't often get to see.
I know I've kind of had a running theme in my thoughts lately, about contentment. It's a huge lesson I'm trying to learn right now so it seems to come up a lot, affecting a lot of what I think and write about. It's not always easy *...scratch that...* it's hardly ever easy for us to be content. It's one of those things that seems to creep in, almost unnoticed, until it's taking over your heart and attitude.I want so much for my kids to be content, and thankful. So I know this has to start with me, and a living example of what contentment looks like lived out. Wow, big job. Somedays I handle it...not well at all. I notice they're crankier and fussier when I'm cranky and fussy. Some days everything is going wrong, and I have every excuse in the book as to why I can't, and won't, be thankful. One of those days where someone just needs to put me down for a nap. :)
God did one of those "ok...since you just aren't gettin' it" reminders Sunday night at church. One of the girls was singing a song called "Gratitude" by Nicole Nordeman. Awesome lyrics, and definitely a much needed smack upside my thick skull. Here is a YouTube video of the song:I think my favorite part is where it says "...how to bless the very sun that warms our face, if You never send us rain." In so many words, stop waiting for that perfect circumstance...the one that you think will fill you with that joy you've been chasing and make all things right with the world, and thank God now. Things could always be better, or worse, but chances are they are never going to be perfect. But God is perfect, and perfect for where we are right now.
Now, if I can just remember this when the kids get up from their nap. ;)
Now, if I can just remember this when the kids get up from their nap. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment