Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Running Fools

Lately my husband has taken up a new hobby. Running. For years I have tried, begged and pleaded to get him to run with me. There is something that has been motivating him lately to get running, though. He is getting addicted to race competition. I've run a few races since I starting running, and the adrenaline and energy is definitely addicting. We've run 3 races together since I had Tirzah last summer.
Both of the previous races had been 5K's...both of which he soundly beat me. Last Saturday morning, though, we ran a local 10K together. I was pretty sure this race was going to have the same outcome. I am the tortoise. Well...I am not that slow, but I prefer long and slow runs to fast and short. Sprint really isn't in my vocab.
We were huddled together on the starting line, in the 30 degree weather. Our wave started and he took off. I thought I'd seen the last of him for the next 6.2 miles. I got about halfway through the race, though, and caught up to a familiar looking guy who had a really bad cramp. I mistook his "I have a cramp" face, for "I am not happy to see you" face. So I kept on running past him and his apparently cranky self.

We found each other, and figured out the facial expression misunderstanding, at the finish line. ;) He didn't end up finishing too far behind me, and had an awesome time for his first 6.2 miles ever. I'm so proud of him! *His time was 50:55. My time was 47:55, which was my fastest ever. So excited!* We are planning on running another race together *also a 10K* in about a month.

I'm glad that we are both enjoying this running thing together. I am hoping that it gets in his blood like mine, and we can keep it up until somebody's pushing somebody's wheelchair in a 10K. :)

This week You Capture theme was "feet". Check out the site for more feet shots!
Photobucket

No comments: