Thursday, August 26, 2010

No summer...don't leave me.

I feel as if possibly, if I ignore all the chatter around me that summer is ending, maybe...just maybe...it won't. It's such a bittersweet time of year. I love summer, all the lazy family time, *I use that term very loosely, for it's rarely lazy around here* the swimming, the sun, the vacations, the cookouts and fun-filled attitudes.

We just returned from a wonderful week long stay at the beach with my very large family. It was wonderful to not have to go anywhere, but to lay in the sun, pick sand out of my kids' ears, fish soggy PB&J sandwiches out of kiddie pools, and chase down seagulls because they are Tirzah's new BFF's. May not sound relaxing, but for some odd reason it was.

I miss the sound of the waves already, although I could do without the sand. I'm not much of a fan of sand. I'm more of the pool type, but this week at the beach Merrick only had eyes for "the BIG pool", which was the Atlantic. So we spent the last "official" week of our summer covered in sand down at the big pool.
Even though I will miss summer, when it goes...cuz I'm not admitting to that at least until the pool closes, I am glad for the change of seasons, and love so much about fall. We have a busy one coming up, with another sister getting married, and new opportunities that haven't quite materialized yet but could lead to big changes around here.

I'm glad for the time I was able to spend with our huge extended family this week. As I look around me at all my cousins who are growing up and getting married, having kids, I realize how fast time can fly by. I guess there isn't a way to officially slow it down, and not admitting to summer leaving will probably not help my cause. But I guess it's worth a try.

So I think the only option is to do the best I can to make the most of the last little bit of my favorite season. I'm going to get in the kiddie pool with the kids. ;)



Photobucket

No comments: