Some people are of the opinion that it's time to celebrate Christmas, even before we've had Thanksgiving. I just...can't...do it. I can't bring myself to mix my gourds and my pine needles. I get so flustered when I hear Christmas music before I've stuffed myself sick with turkey and stuffing. Call me old fashioned, call me a scrooge, call me a holiday purist...but for some reason, Christmas before Thanksgiving just rubs me the wrong way.
I find myself scowling at Targets Christmas displays, refusing to go shopping, wanting to leave sarcastic comments on friend's updates about decorating for the holidays, etc. (I don't do the latter, but the urge is there...I know, I know. I'm a early-Christmas-celebrating hater) I love Christmas, and love celebrating it. Just not until Thanksgiving is just left-overs.I have dug deep, gone back to my psychology roots, and can't figure out the official reason for the Christmas-before-Thanksgiving rejection. Come Black Friday, at 12:00 am, I'll be celebrating with the best of them...but not a second before. I think the only thing I can come up with is the fact that I hate winter. I hung on to summer with a death grip, and now and hanging on to fall for dear life. When I actually acknowledge that Christmas is here, I'll have to admit that it's gonna get cold. Really, really, cold.
So, with that said, me and the kids are enjoying the last of the leaves and I'm pretending that our scraggly trees aren't going to look like that until April. I'm also pretending that April is not 4.5 months away, or that its going to get into the 30's this week. My toes just turned purple thinking about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment