Anyone who reads this blog knows that I'm not a Martha Stewart in the kitchen. But I have figured out that I'm pretty good at recipes that don't involve the oven, or multiple ingredients, or have more than about five steps. Okay okay so that narrows it down, but at least there are some things that I can put together in the kitchen.
I've been going through an advent study recently with a group of girls that I met through blogging and Instagram. This week for the study's "family activity" they had a recipe for peppermint bark to make with your children. At first I snickered, and thought 'that's a funny joke'. But then I looked at the ingredients I realize 1) hey I have all that stuff, and 2) You kind of just melted it altogether and stick it in the fridge. I've made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that are more complicated than that.
As for the "with your children" part of the activity, that didn't happen so much. The hooligans were not very interested in the actual making of the peppermint bark. They were more interested in the actual eating of the peppermint bark. Thankfully it actually turned out how it was supposed to, so they weren't disappointed when it came time to do the eating.
I'm not really a big fan of "peppermint" flavored foods, candy canes, or anything like that, but I thought this turned out pretty good. I mean two layers of chocolate can't really go but so wrong I guess. Next weeks "family activity" is sugar cookies - from scratch. I can assure you that is one family activity that will be getting the assistance of premade cookie dough from Walmart. But I'm definitely enjoying this study with the hooligans, and looking forward to using it as a great excuse to make holiday kitchen disasters. I mean memories.





4 comments:
Sounds like fun in the kitchen. :)
Cute photos.
Hugs~
I can cook a decent meal, but can't bake a thing correctly! I would use pre-made dough, too!
haha! I'm the same way. I technically *can* do a lot in the kitchen, it's just usually more effort than it's worth in my book. My mom actually enjoys baking, so I just steal what she makes :) I'll have to try the peppermint mark after all. I had the same "yeah right" thought :)
Ha! Love this :) for your sugar cookies you should get the Betty Crocker cookie mix in a bag. You dump the mix, add an egg and a stick if butter and you're done! So easy SO yummy!!
Post a Comment